Injured foot, pain, no bruising, minimal swelling. Hurts to walk. Do simple sprains take this long to heal?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I injured my foot sliding into a base playing softball 6 weeks ago. There was immediate pain on the top of my foot, but minimal swelling and no bruising. It hurt to walk on it, but I figured I just sprained it a little and that it would get better over time. After 5 weeks when I still was experiencing pain, I went to my GP. He did no more than look at my foot and send me for regular (non weight bearing) X-rays, which were normal. My GP doesn't seem interested in pursuing further testing and just gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory. I still can't run on it and it bothers me if I stand or walk on it for prolonged periods of time and if I squat (bends my foot). I'm afraid to try to play softball again if it may cause further harm. Do simple sprains take this long to heal or is something else possibly going on? I have read about Lisfranc injuries and am concerned this may be a Lisfranc sprain that has been missed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
It seems to be a soft tissue injury in your case. Such injuries do need adequate rest and crepe bandage and non weight bearing for healing in 4-6 weeks. Sometimes the ligaments can take longer to heal if adequate rest is not provided to the injured area.
Lisfranc injuries are characterized by pain, swelling and severe pain on bearing weight. If you can walk normally without much pain in the area, any fracture dislocation is unlikely.
Right now you can start using a brace and pain killers. This is likely to heal in next 3-4 weeks.
In case the symptoms are not relieved, then going for an MRI will be helpful in proper diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Injured foot, pain, no bruising, minimal swelling. Hurts to walk. Do simple sprains take this long to heal? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. So I should be able to wrap it, continue Mobic and rest it and it should heal? FYI, I did take my own weight bearing x-rays (I work at a veterinary office) and there was about a 2mm space between my 1st and 2nd metatarsals and 1st and 2nd cuneiforms. Is there typically a small gap with weight bearing? I'm no radiologist, but I did not see any bone fragments in the space. It was difficult to see if the borders lined up because the edges are a little blurry. If there is a way to upload the x-rays, I can let you see them for yourself.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A space of 2mm between the bones is not significant and is not suggestive of a fracture. It would be best if you could upload the X-ray reports for a more informed opinion.
You may attach the reports using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-right hand side. Or do care to send it to YYYY@YYYY
with my name (Attn : Dr Praveen Tayal ) in the subject.

Waiting for your reply.
Regards.

Follow-up: Injured foot, pain, no bruising, minimal swelling. Hurts to walk. Do simple sprains take this long to heal? 7 hours later
I think I uploaded the images correctly. The first one should be non-weight bearing and the second weight bearing. Thank you.

I am sorry there are no images attached with this query. You can send them by e.mail at YYYY@YYYY or YYYY@YYYY
Regards.

Follow-up: Injured foot, pain, no bruising, minimal swelling. Hurts to walk. Do simple sprains take this long to heal? 15 hours later
I think I did uploaded them correctly this time.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Yes I have seen the reports - both non weight bearing and weight bearing. Both the X-rays are not suggestive of any obvious bony injury.
It seems to be a sprain only.
Using a crepe bandage or a brace will be helpful in recovery. You can also do a hot fomentation for an early recovery. In case of persistent pain, an MRI is recommended to detect the extent of fracture.
Regards.

Follow-up: Injured foot, pain, no bruising, minimal swelling. Hurts to walk. Do simple sprains take this long to heal? 18 minutes later
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
If you have no more questions, please close the discussion and rate the answer.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards