Injured finger, poke in the joint with insulin needle, shock feeling, sensitive to touch. Treatment ?

What do I do about a finger that has been injured from my accidentally poking it in the join with an insulin needle? It ha[ppened about a week ago and I feel a shock down to the end of the finger when I touch the area. No blood came out. It is simply extremely sensitive to touch.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 9 minutes later
Hello ,

From the history given, you have had a needle prick to your finger about a week ago.

To help you better and to know the current status, please provide the following additional details.

1. Is there any redness or swelling in the site of needle prick ?

2. Is there any pus or any form of discharge there ?

3. Did the needle prick XXXXXXX into the finger ? Was the tip of the finger affected or the proximal part of the finger affected ?

4. Do you feel any numbness , loss of sensation in any other part of the finger or hand ?

I shall provide you more specific and clear answers once you provide the additional details

Waiting eagerly for your response.

Dr Anvekar.
Follow-up: Injured finger, poke in the joint with insulin needle, shock feeling, sensitive to touch. Treatment ? 45 hours later
Dr Anvekar,
There is no redness and only very slight swelling. It happened possibly 10 days ago. No discharge. If any pus, it is under the skin and is only seen when pinching the area. The needle lightly pricked the joint where I would bend the finger. the problem sensation has slowly moved towards the end of the finger by about 1/4 of an inch. When I press on it, I feel an electrical charge all down my finger. The needle did not prick deeply. I think I might have touched the nerve. The proximal part of the index finger where one would start the bending of the finger is where the prick occurred. I can use my finger,except for holding a glass, opening a door. If I hang my hand down. I get tingling sensation in my hand but not bad.
The inside part of the knuckle on the finger (looking at the inside of the hand) is where the problem is with slight electrical shocks when I touch it. One does not see anything on the outside.Perhaps the "insulin" if any got in there, is disapating.
I just noticed the fingers of my left hand and the inside left hand are more red than the right hand. I am hoping it will hold until Monday when I see my internist
If you can provide anything else, I would be grateful. Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Thank you for the complete and clear description of your problem. This has helped me to understand your condition adequately.

The needle prick has probably resulted in a infection of the pulp space of the finger (probably creating an abscess) and also injured the following the structures:

1. The digital branch of the median nerve which supplies the hand, and
2. The tendon of the flexor muscles of the fingers - which help in Flexion movement (bending) of the finger.

The way ahead would be to consult a general surgeon who can examine the finger and if possible aspirate the pus from the pulp space and also treat you with a course of antibiotics.

In addition to the above, you might take simple analgesics belonging to the NSAID'S group every 8 hours. This will help to reduce the pain and inflammation in the affected joint.

In addition to this, application of cold packs and a finger splint to reduce pain due to movement might be very helpful.

With proper treatment, the pain and your symptoms should subside within a week.

I hope this helps to answer your questions effectively.

Please feel free to consult me again if you have any doubts.

Dr Anvekar.

Follow-up: Injured finger, poke in the joint with insulin needle, shock feeling, sensitive to touch. Treatment ? 12 hours later
Thank you so much. I don't know of a surgeon at this point, but my XXXXXXX medicine doctor will. It is not very red, but is bothersome. You have helped me tremendously!!!
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 38 minutes later

You are very welcome.

You can consult your primary doctor as well. He will definitely be able to help you.

You are welcome to consult me if you have any other medical issues in the future as well.

Wish you a good health.

Dr Anvekar.