Injured eyes with resistant band, applied ice and eye drops. Redness in eyes. Should I go to doctor?

I got injured my eyes with a resistant band in my eyes yesterday nite, so I did applied ice and regular eyes drops for redness relief . I am in pain but my eyes are extremely red but I have no problem with my vision .I should go to the doctor for antibiotics ? I am taking ibupropen also
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

You should consider going to see someone though your vision is not impaired.

Trauma to the eye is classified as penetrating or blunt. Your trauma would be called blunt eye trauma.
There are possible complications to blunt eye trauma..They include: (1) hyphema which is bleeding in the anterior or front part of the eye. It is detected by the doctor who would determine the extent of the bleeding and check for any problems that can occur as a result of it. It is usually managed by restricting movement ( bed rest), no reading and a referral to an opthalmologist, a protective shield is placed over the eye and eye drops are also given.
Persons with this may have blurred vision in the presence of bright light.

(2) Subconjunctival hemorrhage which is bleeding just under the conjunctiva which is the lining that covers the eye. It is not usually associated with any other symptoms and resolves within a few days

(3) other possible complications include retinal detachment and traumatic glaucoma.
Retinal detachment is a condition where the retina which is at the back of the eye can become detached, it can be partial or complete. It is usually associated with floaters ( seeing these objects appear to float in the eye) or flashes of light. It is diagnosed by seeing a doctor who will refer to a specialist.
Glaucoma is increased pressure in the eye, this can occur in some cases of trauma.

Even though the redness may just be subconjunctival hemorrhage which will resolve on its own , because of the possibility of more serious problems you should be evaluated.
The doctor will take the history and look in the back of the eye

I hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask any other questions