Injured clavicle. Radiology reports states no fracture but clavicle is bent. Will it be cured on its own?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my son injured his clavicle yesterday. at urgent care they said it was fractured. radiolgy reports states no fracture but clavicle is bent? his clavicle is severly bent which is was not prior to his injury in pe at school. he was hit sideways by another boy. primary dr is telling us its fine & will heal on own but how does your bone just bend?
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later
The bent clavicle as seen in the X-ray is due to a XXXXXXX stick fracture of the clavicle in which only a part of the bone is damaged leading to the bend. In children less than 14 years of age, it is treated in a sling and adequate rest to the arm. It usually takes 6 to 8 weeks for the fracture to heal.
The bone shows a good remodelling and the bend in the clavicle straightens on its own with time.
Initially the bump in the bone may look more prominent due to callus formation but it will become normal over months. There is no need to worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.