Injured by a cow. Got rib fracture. Noticed swelling on chest and abdomen. What is causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was injured by a cow on the 24th causing 10 broken ribs. I spent 2 nights in the hospital. They did 2 chest x-rays and blood work and no other issues were seen. The day after my injury my chest and abdomen were swollen. I still have some swelling to chest and abdomen. My pain is improved. I am urinating and having routine BM's. I have no abdominal tenderness. What could cause my abdominal edema?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
The swelling on the abdominal wall and chest wall is likely to be a soft tissue swelling due to the blunt injury in the area. There might be some hematoma formation in the area if there are overlying skin color changes.
Since there is no problem in bowel movements and no abdominal tenderness, the swelling is not worrisome. It is likely to subside in 2 weeks with adequate pain killers and anti inflammatory medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.