Injecting steroids in the upper arm, red and hurts, puss, swollen. What is the reason, advise and treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i was taking steroids in my uper arm back in November. Now in the locations I was injecting the needle its red and hurts to touch with some puss i think inside it and swollen
It started as like a small bump and red now its getting bigger.It didn't start to show up until January so like a month and a half after the injections.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

For what medical condition are you injecting steroid in your arm ?

Do you have any fever, arm weakness, back pain, breathing difficulty ?

Are you diabetic or on any medication ?

It appears you have an abscess or pus formation due to possible infection at the injection site. The infection needs to be controlled by proper measures. Antibiotics are needed to eradicate the infection. Maintain proper hygiene over the area.

It is best you consult a Surgeon, as it may require a surgical procedure called incision and drainage to remove the pus and infection. Do not delay as this may cause risk of spread of infection.

Kindly respond to above queries.

I hope I have answered your queries. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Injecting steroids in the upper arm, red and hurts, puss, swollen. What is the reason, advise and treatment? 1 hour later
I have no back pain, fever or anything else.Also why would it take more than a month to show any signs of infection. My problem is I have no insurance and want to know if anything I can do to help this. It almost feels like I can pop it soon its growing all the time will it pop its self.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 18 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

According to the attached photograph, it appears like early signs of infection. Full fledged abscess may not be very evident as of yet.

You may apply antibiotic ointment like Fucidin which may help reduce the pain, redness and inflammation.

It is still advisable to consult the Doctor at the Emergency Department to examine the lesions and decide if incision and drainage is necessary at all or antibiotic treatment shall suffice. Oral antibiotics may also be indicated for this condition to eradicate the infection.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.