Injected insulin in hips. Experiencing pain after delivery. Applying voltaren emulgel. Any ideas?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
This question is for my wife. During her second pregnancy doctor in india has given few injections/insulin in her hibs in first trimester. Not sure about what those injections were but After the babies birth she is feeling some pain in the hibs. Some times it becomes horrible and she cannot get out of the bed in the morning. We visited doctor few days back and she has given Voltaren Emulgel to apply which has temporarily relieved the pain but when stopped applying it has come again. Pain is basically in the muscles inside the hibs. Some times its so horrible that she cannot walk and cannot move. Any suggestions/pointers on getting this resolved.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
After the childbirth, the pain in the hips is mostly related to muscular spasms. This can happen due to electrolyte and fluid imbalances, calcium deficiency, VitaminD3 deficiency, etc. This is not likely to be related to the intramuscular injections she was given during the pregnancy.
To avoid these cramps, she needs to take plenty of fluids and electrolytes, fruit juices orally.
Oral mild pain killers in combination with muscle relaxants will help in reducing the acute symptoms. Regular hot fomentation in the area will also help.
In case the pain is persistent then it is best to consult an orthopedician for few blood tests to detect the exact cause.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.