Injected efferin for nausea. Getting severe constipation. Side effect of medicine?

I went to the ER for vertigo
They injected a substance they called efferin into my IV, for nausea they said. I then, after a couple of hours left. What are the side effects. I got severe constipation. Is that related??
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later

Thank you for contacting XXXXXXX with your query.

I think the drug that you mention is called "Zofran XXXXXXX or Ondansetron which is typically used for control of severe nausea and vomiting. This is used extensively after surgery and also prior to giving chemotherapy for cancer patients.

The side effects are headache, dizziness, drowsiness, tiredness. and constipation.

Very rare serious side effects include chest pain, stomach pain. muscle spasms, irregular heart beat and severe allergic reaction.

I hope this answers your concern .Constipation should get better in a day or two. In the mean time you might want to take a stool softener or a laxative pill or suppository if you need . Drink plenty
of fluids.

I hope you fell well soon.
Follow-up: Injected efferin for nausea. Getting severe constipation. Side effect of medicine? 1 hour later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 11 hours later
You are very welcome XXXXXX
Have a great day.