Injected bath salts. Broke out with foliculittis. Why are there sores still? Flesh eating bacteria?

likelyhood of flesh eating bacteria..I was out with friends, I injected bath salts today, well amped exhuberance powder its called.. I misses a small (maybe 10units on standard 1cc insulin siringe) and saw an article about a women losing her arm to the stuff.. now I've injected before and since the last time I've broke out with what was diagnosed by a friend in med school as foliculittis.. still have sores and my arm is numb.. injection site seems very pronounced. now until this news show, I didn't put two n two together, please. I'm freakin out
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 20 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Folliculitis is inflammation of hair follicle. It frequently lead to pus formation and ulceration. It can occur due to multiple reasons. But in your case two things are important:
-Introduction of infection by syringe
-Decrease blood supply due to effect of bath salt

For management:
-Avoid bath salt use
-Proper care of wound
-Use of appropriate antibiotics after physician advice
-Blood flow studies if there is severe pain

Currently you should worry less and focus more on management. With worrying you will loose only time. So, focus on management. Till that time take multivitamins and drink adequate water with electrolytes (like: ORS or electral).

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.