Initially could not feel heart beat at nine weeks. Found strong fetal heart beat at seven weeks. Normal?

The doctor could not hear a fetal heartbeat with a handheld doppler at nine weeks. Is this normal? She said it is unlikely she would hear anything until i am further along. I had a full ultra sound at seven weeks and saw a strong heartbeat.
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

With a scan we can see good heartbeat, and with ultrasound doppler we can also hear heartbeats. But, hand doppler is a different instrument, it is not similar to ultrasound, but both works with similar principle. With a hand doppler we can hear heart beat once the uterus is palpable abdominally, usually after 14 weeks of pregnancy. We cannot see heart beat with hand doppler, but we can only hear.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile