Inhaled large amount of hair bleach. Having sore throat, joint pain and flu symptoms. Serious?

I recently got my hair bleached and I feel that i inhaled a large amount of hair bleach. The bleach was processing on my head for 1 hour. I started to get stinging eyes but now they are ok. The only problem is that I feel like I have cold/flu symptoms like a sore throat, neck joint pain, tightness in throat when swallowing and have nausea. I have had this problem before when I have had my hair dyed and It went away after 1 week. I am worried. What could you suggest to ease this, it it serious?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
From the description that you have given, it appears that you have probably inhaled some fumes of bleaching which has led to inflammation /irritation of your throat and other complains.
Mostly it is benign and self limiting and will settle on its own after 2-3 days. Meanwhile you can try warm water gargling and also drink plenty of water. Try some soft lozenges to keep your throat moist.
If the problem doesn't settle in 2 days do make a visit to your doctor, who would like to inspect your throat in detail. Most probably you wont need to do that.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.