Inhaled horsefly. Started breathing problem. Diagnosed with enlarge liver and heart. Should I be concerned?

TWO YEARS AGO I INHALED A HORSEFLY OR DEERFLY ,verypainful was couphing uncontrollably for hours, had a x-ray to prove it.since then have had problems breathing ,turning white with the simplest tasks,and now have been diagnosed with enlarged liver and heart,also a bad valve, left aorta operating at 30% .also have had air trapped inside my chest which sounds like a drum when tapped on, has been slowly getting worse last few months my abdomen has been getting distended feeling always very bloated, Local Dr`s think it`s all in my head,but to me the prof is that all the tests have to point to there a way to know for sure if a fly can be responsible.very worried! i live in the far north of Ontario Canada,PS,~Dr`s here not to good,should i be concerned.XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 8 hours later

Welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here.

I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

A fly cannot cause all these. You cannot inhale it into the airways and survive to tell me this.
So, take it out of your mind.

At the same time I am concerned about your breathlessness, bloating and turning white.
From your description, I feel you have CCF (congestive heart failure) and enlarged liver, ascitis (abdominal distension) due to Tricuspid valve regurgitation (hence the murmur you mentioned).

This can be revealed on 2D-echocardiogram and I am sure you have a report of this (if you have consulted a cardiologist).

To give you a precise opinion, I need a good detailed description of all your symptoms, echo and other reports (you can upload it here using the site’s uploader below the text box) and the medication details.

You can take a good cardiology opinion at a tertiary care hospital/ university hospital about the heart condition if you haven't consulted one yet.

With regular medication, most heart failures can be well controlled and lead a fruitful life.

Hope to have helped you with your doubt.
It is the heart, and not the fly!!

Would be glad to answer any follow-up query you may have.

Thank you and Good luck!