Inhaled fumes from a foaming bathroom cleaner. Got cold and sore throat. How to get cure?

ENT Specialist
Question
At first I thought I caught a cold & sore throat from my husband, but I remembered I had used a foaming bathroom cleanser (like DOW) when cleaning my bathrooms over the past 2 days. There are some blisters in my throat and I have no fever. I have had a severe throat lke this once before from breathing in another chemical a few years back. That was had an even more severe reaction...had to go to ER. What can I do to help relieve the pain?
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. It is unlikely that you will have any lasting damage to your throat due to this incident of inhaling fumes from a foaming bathroom cleaner two days ago.

2. This seems to be either a direct result of irritant fumes or an allergy to the ingredients of the bathroom cleaner. Since there is no fever, it may not be an infection or there is a possibility of additional effects of a mild viral or an acid reflux (you have hiatal hernia).

3. A course of a non-sedating anti allergy medication, an anti inflammatory (to relieve the pain)and sometimes steroids are used to control any inflammation in the throat. An anti-reflux medication and medicated gargles should help. A local application containing liquid glycerine (medical grade) will help. All these medications should be taken under the supervision of a doctor.

4. You may upload a close-up image of the blisters in your throat, if possible. How many blisters are there? Are they distributed all over the throat or only in a certain area?

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Inhaled fumes from a foaming bathroom cleaner. Got cold and sore throat. How to get cure? 2 hours later
It seems the pain is mostly located in one area...where I can see a big blister, but I can't photograph it. It's located on the outside edge of the cavity where my tonsil used to be. So I could purchase some liquid glycerin and apply topically for pain relief?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 47 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If the blister is located in only one area, you may apply liquid glycerine over it for topical pain relief. Make sure you use only medical grade glycerine.

2. Ideally you should get it examined, especially if you cannot photograph it.

3. A painkiller will also help as there is an anti-inflammatory effect.

4. Let me know if it breaks down into an ulcer. Otherwise it should settle down soon. Healing is always faster with glycerine as it forms a barrier to saliva.