Ingested some silver metallic paint. Feeling sore chest and crappy. How to feel better?

Pediatrician
Question
hello , last month or maybe two ..i was spray painting a very little bit outside . i was not wearing a mask as i should have . Anyway i must have ingested some silver mettalic paint because i now have a sore chest and feel crappy . no coughing really just sore tight chest for like 2 months now .....is there anything i can do to combat or help sppeed up the process ?. thank you .....ive been to my doctor twice and now have been given a inhaler .....there must be other things i can do to help sooth or reverse {if any } damage ive done ..i know i have because it hurts a lot . especially if it is cold out . a day or two later i coughed up a bit of paint not much in mucus ...will i get better or is this it ? thank you
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

It is not unusual to inhale paint while spray painting. Mask does provide some relief but not total relief.

The doctor has done the right thing by prescribing an inhaler to you. Do take it as recommended so that you get relief.

The cold air will certainly trouble you for a while but with time you should improve and be back to your normal self.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications.

Wishing you all the best..

RKK

Follow-up: Ingested some silver metallic paint. Feeling sore chest and crappy. How to feel better? 13 hours later
thanks ....well really didnt answer what i asked or already know ..very general answer ! With little clarification of how or why lungs are responding to this problem or how to reverse or combat the effects I guess to be expected from the internet . was it worth 10 .00 bucks ..NOPE !.....thank you though for at least responding ....

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 6 hours later

Thanks for your post.

The inhaled paint affects the cell lining of the airway and the finer particles may even affect the alveoli. The fact that you coughed a bit of paint means that you had inhaled a fair amount of it which had damaged the cells of the lung. The healing takes time and depends on the individual's response which cannot be predicted. Regular follow-up is the only way in which the response can be assessed. There is no specific medicine to expedite the healing. Hence the doctor has prescribed the inhaler to give you relief.

I hope I have responded to your satisfaction.

RKK

Follow-up: Ingested some silver metallic paint. Feeling sore chest and crappy. How to feel better? 17 hours later
Thank you . That is the responce i was looking for . Just alittle how and why . Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 hours later

Thank you for your appreciation.

RKK