Ingested Hallucionogenic Drug. Since then has seen tracers and unable to sleep. Suggest?

Dec 2012

My son attended a Music Festival in Las Vegas, and apparently ingested a Hallucionogenic Drug. Not certain what it was. Since then he has seen tracers, and has not felt well, and has been unable to sleep for more than an hour at a time for twenty days.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to be able to assist you with your query,

Well to start with, it would have been more useful to have the specific drug name as they are many illicit drugs circulating amongst youths that have hallucinogenic properties.
Per your description, your son must have ingested a good quantity of it for the symptoms to persist for more than 20 days. Hallucinogens are a general group of pharmacological agents that can be divided into three broad categories: psychedelics, dissociatives, and deliriants. These classes of psychoactive drugs have in common that they can cause subjective changes in perception, thought, emotion and consciousness.
The first aid care that he can receive at home (even though I will prefer at this stage that you should take him to the doctor), is to let him take lots of fluids/water, have much rest and cold showers. Normally as days go by, the symptoms will ware off.
If in the next couple of days, he does not recover, just take him to the doctor to check if he has not got another serious condition that has surely been revealed by the hallucinogen.

Hope this helps and wish your son the best.
Dr. Nsah