Infrequent sharp Chest pain like pin pricked in heart. Have occasional acid reflux. Is this because of reflux or any other issue?

Hi there. I have a query regarding a pain in my chest that I've been having on and off for a couple of weeks. I'm a 31 year old male with a relatively healthy lifestyle and have had a full health check in the last year which came up clean. I also suffer from occasional acid reflux which I am used to and able to combat. I am familiar with the discomfort of indigestion and the sensation of acid in my chest and throat. However, this new pain is a sharp pain in the left side of my chest, particularly where my heart is. Occasionally it also feels like its a little lower in the spleen area, but mostly I'd describe it as like a pin prick in my heart. My heart beat is normal when this happens so I don't get too alarmed, but it can be quite disconcerting. Is it possible that acid reflux or just gas can cause this kind of pain in this area? Thank you for your time.
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
A pin prick like pain in the left side of your chest without any other symptoms like shortness of breath, palpitation, tachycardia, etc is likely to be related to Gastro esophageal reflux.
The pain also could be due to musculoskeletal inflammation - This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎
If the pain increases on taking a XXXXXXX breath, then lung inflammation like pleurisy or bronchitis is likely.
It is important to find out the exact cause after physical examination and investigations. Hence, please see your Primary Doctor for complete examination and the treatment would follow accordingly.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.