Information regarding ENT

ENT Specialist
Dear Dr.
My question is related to ENT
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Surgery is unlikely to boost your hearing to a level where you can use a CIC (Completely In Canal) hearing aid.

2. Since your middle ear is completely destroyed in the right ear and there is a mixed hearing loss, with occasional discharge, surgery may even damage it further.

3. There is a low and high frequency hearing loss in your left ear, which is also a chronic discharging ear, may be also due to your sinusitis. Hearing aids cannot provide clarity at high frequencies, or be used in discharging ears. This 'reverse cookie bite' audiogram of your left ear will make hearing aid fitting difficult.

4. I recommend that you take a trial with a BAHA (Bone Anchored Hearing Aid) which can be done without surgery. If you are worried about the external titanium abutment or fixture, there is a new generation of partially implantable BAHA devices available now. You may look up the Sophono alpha 1 website. Also worth considering are the Vibrant SoundBridge (Med-El), Esteem 2 (Envoy Medical) and SoundBite (Sonitus Medical).

4. We can discuss further after you have read up details about the above mentioned devices.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.