Information on whether GERD is a serious disease?

Could you refer me to a medical practitioner who is familiar with aged care I need to find out whether GERD is a serious disease because I am in a low care nursing home and the nurses are not happy with my health. The only symptoms I have shown could be attributed to acid reflux disease I am very concerned abot my security of tenure
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 3 hours later

Thank you for your question on XXXXXXX the world's leading Q & A portal for medicare. You must realise that this is only an online platform for answering questions related to your health problems. It appears that you need the services of either a gastro-enterologist or a general physician who is able to take care of reflux disease. GER and GERD are entirely different terms. The former points only to the presence of acid reflux and associated problems of acid in the food-pipe such as heart burn, swallowing difficulties, belching, acidic vomiting and, in severe cases, an ulcer of the food pipe. The nomenclature GERD is applied when the symptoms of acid reflux cause the ulcers, or lead to disease of other systems and metabolism.

This is the website of Australian old-age specialist doctors:

This is the site for gastroenterologists of Australia:

You could join their mailing list or contact them for further information on the best doctors available in your exact location, which appears to be close to Sydney.

I am afraid that is the best that is possible from an online advice site.

Thank you once again.

With regards,

Dr. Taher