Information about Lupus Anticoagulant?

I am trying to learn more about Lupus Anticoagulant Disorder
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Lupus anticoagulant is essentially a circulating protein which predisposes a patient to the possibility of developing blood clots. This might occur in the setting of what we referred to as antiphospholipid antibody syndrome.

Sometimes this might occur on a temporary basis such as if the patient is very sick or had some type of infection or in the setting of some cancers. If a blood clot is found the hematologist or primary physician will recommend anticoagulation. The doctor will then read check to see if the lupus anticoagulant is still positive.

If this protein is still found in the blood long-term anticoagulation might be recommended. Every patient is unique however and each individual patient needs to be discussed with a hematologist in detail.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have other specific concerns regarding this issue.

Dr. Galamaga