Ask a Dentist   »  

Inflamed, swollen gum, using peroxide mouth rinses, have a auto immune skin disease. Treatment to reduce the pain?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I have an inflamed, swollen gum below the false tooth on the back lower left of my mouth, last tooth in a 4-tooth bridge.. The tooth below the false tooth was pulled several years ago. I have been using peroxide sore mouth rinses but the condition has lasted for about 10 days. It's painful when I touch it but otherwise just feels swollen. It gets neither worse nor better. My dentist looked at it a few days ago (he's only in New York a few hours a week) and said just keep doing what I am doing - I don't find this a satisfactory answer. and I am very worried about it because this is a weekend and my internist doesn't answer calls and only sees patients a few hours a week. I have skin diseases that my dermatologist can't definitively diagnose and might also affect my mouth, but I can't see her for two weeks because she is on vacation. I am also an auto-immune type. I am an 84 year old woman.
What do you think I should do--now and next week.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 10 hours later

Thank you for asking the query.

Inflammation, swollen gums below the false tooth indicate that there are hard deposits[Calculus] below the false tooth. The area below the false tooth is usually difficult to clean because of which deposits are formed. The hard deposits act as irritants in the region. Because of the irritants, gum swells. It is very difficult if the bridge is not self-cleansing [a gap is created beneath the false tooth and gums so that it can be cleaned easily by individual and maintain good oral hygine].

In your case, you can visit the dentist, get the bridge removed. After removal of the bridge request the dentist to do the scaling [procedure to remove the deposits] of the region and get the modification in the bridge done so that it is self-cleanising. You can keep the region clean by using interdental brushes [available in supermarkets/medical shops] after every food.

If bridge removal is difficult, then atleast get the scaling done with the bridge in place.

Till you visit the dentist you can gargle with chlorhexidine mouth rinses [after breakfast and last food of the day, brush your teeth then do mouth rinsing with Chlorhexidine mouth wash. Do not take anything for 30 minutes after the rinse.

I hope I have answered your query, If you have clarifications to be asked you are most welcome.

with regards,