Inflamed sinus, heartburn, tiredness. Had septum corrected. Is it sinus infection?

ENT Specialist
Hi recently had septum corrected.. More post nasal drip than usual causing me to choke in my sleep..I feel like surgery made things worse.. Severe heartburn with post nasal.. I'm on my wits end.. Sinuses feel super dry and inflamed.. Some green crusts with blood.. Sinus infection? Also currently on allergy shots feeling tired.. Is that normal?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

Do not worry! The symptoms mentioned by you are the few commonest problems faced by individuals following septal surgery. The dryness in the nose with crusting is because of roomy nasal cavities which makes the secretions thick and hard. This problem is noticed till the nasal mucosa regains its normal quality and function. The post nasal drip could be due to either sinus inflammation or acid reflux from the stomach into the throat.

My advice to you is:
1. Drink plenty of warm water, this keeps the mucosa moist and reduces the crusting.
2. Use saline nasal spray once in every two hours to keep the mucosa moist and avoid crusting.
3. Try taking a proton pump inhibitor (such as esomeprazole or pantoperazole), to reduce heart burns and choking during sleep.
4. Avoid antihistaminic, if it has been prescribed to you by your doctor. Antihistaminic causes dryness of secretions thus worsening your symptoms.
5. Avoid smoking/coffee/tea/chilled food and beverages/sleeping under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.

With these above measures you will be definitely alright.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon