Inflamed and red belly button, stinky and thick white discharge. What is it and how to get rid of it?

My belly button is inflamed and red and has a stinky thick white discharge coming from it what is it? How do I get rid off it
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later

There are several causes for belly button discharge, including urachal cyst, patent urachus,yeast infections, bacterial infections (the hair follicles of the skin in the umbilical area can become infected),urachal carcinoma, umbilical hernia ulceration, abdominal abscess.
The discharge is usually white in colour and malodourous.

In a study of adults with an umbilical discharge most of them had urachal anamolies.
The urachus is the fibrous remnant (what remains) of something called the allantois which is a channel that drains the urinary bladder of the fetus and runs in the umbilicus.
In urachal cysts and patent urachus , a slight channel may persist.
These are treated with antibiotics, incision and drainage of the area as well as removal of the remnant.

It may not be due to persistance of the urachus and due to an bacterial or yeast infection but you need to consider visiting your doctor.
He or she will ask about the color,odor and nature of the discharge, time,mode of onset and duration. In addition she may ask whether there is any fever or any change in bowel or urine habits.

On examination-look at the exact site, look for any , fever,signs of dehydration

Investigations would depend on the results of the history and examination. In some cases the blood count is checked, urine,kidney function. Imaging may or may not be required.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions