Infertility problem, had genital wart, treatment done, STI of both -ve. Sperm count affected due to genital wart ?

Question
Hi Doctor,

I'm currently trying to conceive with my husband and am finding this anxiety provoking. A number of years ago about 5 approx my husband had genital warts which were sucessfully treated in one round of treatment and never reoccurred. We were both tested for STI's at the time and nothing was found. I'm just wondering if that round of genital warts could have in any way affected his fertility and sperm count?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

Genital warts are caused by a virus. This virus is very common in the population. Some estimates place the prevalence of genital warts at 20 to 30% of the population sometimes even higher depending on location.

We also understand that genital warts are caused by human papilloma virus. The virus is transmitted sexually. In order to transmit the virus one does not necessarily need to have any symptoms or any warts. The virus simply lives on and under the skin.

Since both of you tested negative for any sexually transmitted diseases, there is no need to worry now. Genital warts do not affect the quality and quantity of sperms in any way. So after a successful treatment, there is no need of worrying.

You can further rest your mind by getting a semen analysis done for your husband after three days of abstinence.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infertility problem, had genital wart, treatment done, STI of both -ve. Sperm count affected due to genital wart ? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

That's great thanks it's funny the way things you never worried about when you were younger tend to play on your mind later.

There are two things relating to my own reproductive health that I'm discussing with my GP but it's good to get a second opinion on.

The first is that on my Day 21 bloodwork I got a progesterone level of 11.8 which my Dr told me meant I ovulated but that it was low so she has prescribed chlomid to boost ovulation for two months. I'm just wondering how low is this and would women conceive at that level of progesterone?

The second thing is 8 years ago I had a smear test done which came back with abnormal results and I had laser done to remove the cells. I have had normal cells ever since. I suppose what I'm wondering in regards to this if the cells could have changed as a result of hormones as in if this could also be the result of low progesterone.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on this, Amanda

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing again.

The levels of progesterone are slightly low in the second half of cycle. But these vary from cycle to cycle and time of ovulation. Clomid induces ovulation but does not affect progesterone levels. You can ask for progesterone supplements in the second half of your cycle from your Gynecologist for successful implantation.

Abnormal cervical smear for which you were treated, cannot cause any hormonal disturbance now. These are most commonly caused by Chronic Cervicitis.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Infertility problem, had genital wart, treatment done, STI of both -ve. Sperm count affected due to genital wart ? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for this most helpful- just to ask again if a women could conceive at that progesterone level of 11.8? I understand it is low but I'm getting alot of conflicting answers some are saying over 10 means you ovulated but alot saying healthly progesterone level closer to 30.

And also what is Chronic Cervictis?

Amanda
Follow-up: Infertility problem, had genital wart, treatment done, STI of both -ve. Sperm count affected due to genital wart ? 35 minutes later
Sorry Dr last question meant to include in previous post. A friend of mine has been recommened wheat germ oil as a fertility boaster. I'm just wondering is it safe to take this with the chlomid? Thanks, Amanda

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Progesterone level of more than 15 on day 18-20 means ovulation has taken place. With the help of ovulation inducing agents like Clomiphene and progesterone supplements you can conceive.

Chronic cervicitis means chronic (long standing) inflammation of cervix due to infection of cervix. Even this can lead to infertility.

Hope my answer is helpful for you.

Wish you good health.

Regards.