Infected with Herpes zoster in early pregnancy. Taken acyclovir. Is it safe for the baby?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Dear sir,
We just confirmed My wife is pregnant today(she completed 30 days after periods),but unfortunately she got virus herpes zoster in last seven days back,we had contacted doctor and acyclovir has taken as advised by doctor and every thing is fine ,now what my dought is, this wil effects the baby or not ,we can continue this pregnancy or not plz kindly give the suggitions.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Acyclovir has been assigned to pregnancy category B by the FDA. Nonstandard animal studies have produced fetal abnormalities, while standard animal testing failed to reveal evidence of teratogenicity.
Exposure to acyclovir in the first trimester of pregnancy is not associated with an increased risk for major birth defects. There is no increased risk for other problems such as low birth weight, preterm delivery, or stillbirth.
There is no need to worry about the congenital defects in the baby. You can safely continue with this pregnancy.
Viral infection which has been well treated in time is not likely to affect the baby at all.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.

Follow-up: Infected with Herpes zoster in early pregnancy. Taken acyclovir. Is it safe for the baby? 39 hours later
Dear sir,
thanks for your valubale answerand support
In your answer you stated that Nonstandard animal studies have produced fetal abnormalities, inthis case it may be effect in our case also plz kindly clarify.
what is the chances of repeat of the herpes zoster.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Non standard animal studies are not considered standard to see the effect of a drug. The mechanism of fetal defects in animals can be considerably different from that in humans. These do not suggest of an increased risk of congenital defects in your baby. So do not worry.

Relapse of herpes Zoster infection usually occurs rarely if the treatment is complete. To prevent the re infection, the partner also needs to be treated adequately with anti viral drugs like acyclovir.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wish you good health.

Regards.