Infected with HIV. Elevated CD4 count. No symptoms. No treatment advised. Second opinion?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Dear sir/madam i am infacted with hiv. my cd 4 count is 550 and viral load is 0000 but my doctor was told me right now no need to take any treatment till one year. and he told me your reports are good. any how i had about arv. but arv medcine is giving side effects. so i would like to use ayruveda please tell me wich is the best way to incress my life time and sofar i am very well leaving with out allergys and other problams but i like to start treatment. please and kindly show me the way
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
Hello ,

According to the current guidelines, your doctor may be right in withholding Anti retroviral treatment as it is started for asymptomatic patients with CD4 counts of less than or equal to 350. or in patients with symptoms like fever, wt loss, recurrent infections irrespective of their CD4 counts But the time interval for repeat CD4 checking is shortened to 3_6 months preferably and not one year like before.
So as of now you may not require ART( Anti retroviral treatment) but regular checkups are mandatory.

Please remember that ayurvedic treatment may boost immune responses and improve quality of life but it is also not without sideeffects and definitely not curative of hiv.

Very often the patients start thinking that Ayurvedic treatment is curing them but they suddenly find that they have reached an advanced stage of the disease. This is mainly because they start ignoring ART while taking the other treatments.

So go ahead but be cautious, always consult your doctor about any new symptom or treatments used.
As for allergy, the best treatment is prevention and that has to given importance along with positive lifestyle like having a balanced diet, regular exercise or yoga and stress free living.

Hope I have answered your query.