Infected swollen cut on the toe, applied polysporin. Does Azom 500 work ?

Oncologist
Question
I have a cut that is infected on my toe. I have bathed it in salt water to no avail and put on polysporin but it is not working. It is very swollen,painful and discolored. Will Azom 500 work?How long would I take it for?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Regarding the infected toe I would NOT recommend Azom for this. This is an infection where you need good antibiotic coverage of gram positive bacteria. For this type of thing I recommend cephalexin or sulfamethoxazole which are generic antibiotics which are readily available at the pharmacy.

I recommend in addition to seeking care of your doctor that you soak the toe in warm water and continue the topical antibiotic cream.

Again I do not think Azom is adequate enough to treat this infection. Please followup with your doctor for an appropriate prescription.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my answer has been adequate and helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Infected swollen cut on the toe, applied polysporin. Does Azom 500 work ? 4 hours later
Thnk you for the answer...it was helpful. Unfortunately I am not able to see a doctor but my dentist will write the prescription for me and my pharmistist is a former student of mine and she will double check for me. So, my question is this...what strength of medication should the prescription be, and how many for how long? With this help I can solve my infected toe.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 hours later
Hello again.

I would recommend Cephalexin 500 mg four times daily for 10 days. Continue the soaks and topical antibiotics as well.

Thanks again for the query and followup. If there are any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga