Infected ingrown toe nail. On Bactrim DS medication. Surgery done for removal. Okay to carry on normal activities ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi, after 6 weeks of different antibiotics I finally had the still infected ingrown toenail removed yesterday. The doctor gave me no aftercare instructions but I am still taking Bactrim DS(?). It is wrapped in gauze and very very painful, He told me to carry on and walk etc, as if nothing happened. This doesnt feel like the right way to go. Can you help?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later

After surgical removal of an ingrown toenail, you need to take antibiotics for 5 to 7 days to avoid infection. In your case Bactrim DS will be alright if you have been taking it earlier also.
For the pain you can take tablet Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for three days.

You can carry out your daily activities as ingrown toe nail is a minor procedure and is less likely to produce any post surgical complications.
You can take serratiopeptidase or trypsin- chymotrypsin for early wound healing after consulting your physician.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.