Infected etiology,negative pregnancy test,ciplox TZ

My last period started on 27 Apr 2011 and lasted for 3 days only. On 9 May, I developed some infective etiology (free fluid in POD). Pregnancy tests were negative on 9 May. I was treated with antibiotic Ciplox TZ. Today 8 XXXXXXX the pregnancy tests have come positive. I am worried if the Ciplox TZ will have adverse impact on the fetus. Should I consider to terminate pregnancy due to this fear. Please help!
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 33 minutes later

You last period was on 27 April. Considering the length of the average menstrual cycle to be 28-30 days. Your next expected period would have been on 25th-27th May. So ovulation could have occurred around 11th-13th May. Conception would have occurred on 14th-15th May. Implantation of the fertilized ovum would occurred on 21st-22nd May.

On May 9th you had been started on Ciplox TZ. Typical antibiotic course is for 5 days. So the antibiotic course would have ended on 14th May.

Ciplox TZ contains two drugs namely:
1. Ciprofloxacin
2. Tinidazole

Both these drugs come under Category C of US FDA.
Category C : Either studies in animals have revealed adverse effects on the foetus (teratogenic or embryocidal or other) and there are no controlled studies in women or studies in women and animals are not available. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.

So keeping in mind the above explanations I am of the opinion that there is no need for termination of the pregnancy. Further confirmation can be obtained with the help of USG scan at 18-20 weeks called the anomaly scan which can detect anomalies of the fetus if any.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.