Infant's stool was shriveled and hard immediately after bowel movement. What could cause this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I changed my sons diaper today and the stool looked shriveled and hard and he had just had the bowel movement? what could cause this?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A hard shriveled stool in children is suggestive of constipation.
In most of the cases it happens due to decreased water intake by the child.
Give him a high fibre diet like pureed pears and prunes.
Ensure that he does not take refined foods.
If it is a one time symptom then there is nothing to worry. Doing minor changes in the diet will help.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Infant's stool was shriveled and hard immediately after bowel movement. What could cause this? 49 minutes later
He drinks juice and soy milk often through the day, I was told small children don't need water. That was his second bowel movement of the day and he is regular....he really doesn't show signs of constipation. Could it be anything else?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

I understand that the appearance of shriveled up stool has brought in lots of anxiety in you. Let me assure you, a single bowel movement with changed appearance is not a serious concern. It is most probably due to dietary changes.

If your child is comfortable and active, it isn’t concerning to me. Do monitor for stool appearance for a few days.

As far as fluid intake is concerned, children do not need water till six months of age. A good diet as mentioned in my earlier reply with good fluid intake is helpful.

Hope my answer is helpful and assuring. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.