Infant with red spots on scalp and ears, cold. Is it allergy?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
About three times in the last week i have noticed my 10 month old baby has several perfectly round red flat spots on her scalp and around ears. It has only happened in the evening ,twice in the bath and last night during dinner ,when she had a new spot under her eye. They are bright red and about 2 to 3 mm round, after a couple of hours they have completely gone. When they come back they are in the same place. She has been well except for a mild cold she started with yesterday. She has no temp and has not eaten any new food or had a chnge in normal routine. Does this sound like allergy?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later

Thank you for the query.

The description of the lesions on your daughter’s skin closely resembles an 'evanescent allergic rash' or drug eruption which would disappear in few hours and may recur. It is most likely to be either due to contact or ingestion of an allergen in the form of food, medicine, local application of cream or soap or talc or contact with new clothing or mattress etc.
But since you mentioned about the cold, and no possible allergen contact that makes me put the next possible diagnosis as a viral exanthem (rash).

The best thing to do would be to consult your pediatrician for thorough examination of the rash with detailed history. This will help in accurate diagnosis and formulating appropriate treatment.

In case of viral rash, there are possibilities of the rashes increasing or spreading to the body lower down. Hence prompt medical consultation is necessary.

An allergic condition subsides with removal of the allergen. Symptomatic treatment with over the counter antihistamine solutions would fasten the recovery.

In your case since your daughter is not having itching, or spreading of lesions or pain or fever or breathlessness or diarrhea, it does not seem worrisome yet, but in case she develops any new symptom please consult your doctor promptly.

Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Follow-up: Infant with red spots on scalp and ears, cold. Is it allergy? 24 hours later
Thankyou for your reassuring reply, it is very alarming to see your baby with a bright red rash. Just to clarify the point you make about diarrhea, for the last 3-4 weeks her stools have changed from soft/solid to loose mucousy but not watery stool. As i said before she has not been unwell or off her food, I know babys stools vary and i was blaming it on a normal varience or teeth as she got her first tooth two weeks ago. Is this likely to be unrelated to the rash or could they be linked and she has developed an allergy to a food she has been eating for some time, causing loose stools and the rash. Thankyou.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Teething can cause a change in the stool pattern because the excess saliva irritates the gut.
But it can't cause a rash.

So what seems likely is a food allergy or a viral infection both can cause diarrhoea and rash.

If your baby is passing XXXXXXX foul smelling, mucus or blood stained stools, I would advice you to consult a pediatrician for apropriate tests to rule out infection like complete blood counts and stool routine tests.

If they a are just loose, non watery minimally mucus and no blood then you dont need to worry as probable allergy may resolve soon.

Hope I have cleared your doubts.

Wishing your baby good health.