Infant with red blisters over the body, loss of voice, inflamed throat. Is it contagious?

my almost 10 month old daughter lost her voice on friday and then on sunday she came up with a few red dots all over her body. She went to the Dr today, he checked her throat and says its a little inflamed, just said to give her bonjela. She now looks like she is getting blister on her lips, and is off her food. I’m worried that is something else, as she has passed it onto the other kids at childcare. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for your child.

A rash that appears all of a sudden and involving the whole body is generally caused by a viral infection. Considering your child’s symptoms, it looks like a viral rash like hands, foot and mouth disease. Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (HFMD) is caused by the Coxsackie virus and effects children ages 6 months to 3 years. Symptoms include fever, sore throat and red spots that appear that form water-filled blisters in the middle on your child's tongue, lips or in her mouth. A red, lacy rash can also appear anywhere on the body.

Since it looks like a viral infection, it should go away without any need of antibiotics. The only medicine that your child may need is acetaminophen for any fever and it should be taken under her pediatrician’s guidance. Popsicles, slushies or frozen juice can both sooth your child and provide needed fluids during this illness. Acidic foods like orange juice may be painful for your child. So you should avoid giving it.

Since it looks like a viral infection, it is contagious and hence you should not send your child to the childcare till there is complete healing. If the blisters turn painful then there is a possibility for herpes sores which should be ruled out by a pediatrician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.