Infant with low blood count. What could be done?

A two month old baby has a low platelet blood count of 23 , is this a concern if so what could it mean?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I request to check the platelet count once again and mention it. Is it 23 thousand?

Normally platelet count is in a much higher range and not in double digit number. If it is less than 0000 cells/ltr then we call it as thrombocytopenia.

I request you to update the platelet count report with its units so that I can comment on it.

Awaiting your reply...

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Follow-up: Infant with low blood count. What could be done? 1 hour later
this was just mentioned to me in conversation, I dont understand the platlet count so just relayed what was said,I know it is classed as very low however 23 could have meant 23 thousand, so lets just assume it extremely low.
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

A platelet count of 23 thousand means thrombocytopenia (meaning the platelet count is low).

Platelets are required for blood clotting. If the platelet count is low, blood does not clot properly and there may be bleeding.

Low platelet count can occur in whole lot of conditions. If you could further describe the condition of your baby I may be able to help you better.

What are the associated complaints?
Does your baby have complaints like poor feeding, vomiting, lethargy etc?(Bacterial sepsis is a important cause in this age group)
Are there any red spots on the body?
Is your baby on any medications?
Please give further details so that, I can answer your query better.

Platelet transfusion may be required if platelets fall further or if there is bleeding from any site.

Hope this helps you.
I pray God for the speedy recovery of your kid.