Infant with loose motion. Stool test came with bacteria and mucus in it. What should be the diet?

Hello ,

My baby is 11 month old. she had loose motion for 4 to 5 times .We have done the stool test. Bacteria, Mucus found which is not normal. Can you please suggest any medicine or precution to cure this...Today she is little ok...Doctor suggested not to give her dairy products like farex,cerelac and lactogen etc. Can you please suggest me when can i give her milk and dairy products..

Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 49 minutes later

Your child may be having lactose intolerance/cows milk allergy & that is the very reason your doctor has suggested to avoid the above mentioned foods for a certain period of time.

Precautions which I suggest are - practice clean habits, avoid hotel food / artificial flavors / coloring foods and drink only boiled water.

In addition medications such as zinc drops, sporolac sachets and Oral Rehydrating fluids may be needed to prevent dehydration. Kindly review with your child s weight and I can be able to comment more on the dosage. Alternatively you can review with your treating doctor for the right dosage of aforementioned medications.

You can start with the usual diet of the child when she has completely recovered form the loose motion episode.

Hope I have answered your queries.

Follow-up: Infant with loose motion. Stool test came with bacteria and mucus in it. What should be the diet? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply.Her weight is 9.8kgs.Is her weight is normal? She will complete one yr this feb 24th.
zinc drops how much quantity i can give her in a day and how many times? Cow's milk i have not started yet.So when can i start her giving cow milk and boliedd egg...We should give the white part of boiled egg or the yellow part?
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 4 hours later
Hello thanks for the review.

Her weight is normal.

Zinc drops , you can give 0.5ml per day for 5 days and stop.

Once her loose stools stop, get a repeat test for stool routine and stool for reducing substances, if the reports are normal then you can restart the cows milk.

Boiled egg you can start after then child turns 1 yr of age. You can give both white and yellow pats of the egg, to start with give half an egg, slowly increase the quantity over a period of 1 month.

Thank you, kindly review for any other queries.