Infant with increased salivation, cold. Diagnosed with allergy. Cure?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my son is eleven months old, he is suffering from salivation, cold and running nose since last three to four months. we consulted our family pediatration he said that its because of allergy it lasts up to 4 years. but child is suffering a lot. what we should do? .
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 43 minutes later

Frequent cough and colds in less than five year old do commonly suggest allergic rhinitis or asthma or deviated nasal septum but increased salivation might be seen with occult XXXXXXX defects in esophagus like gastroesophageal reflux, or tracheoesophgeal fistula or adenoids (adenoids are deeper glands like tonsil ).

I would recommend you consult a pediatrician or pediatric surgeon who can thoroughly evaluate him and carry out certain investigations like barium milk scan and scopy to confirm the diagnosis.

Once the cause is known then it can be treated with appropriate medications.

If only allergy is found and rest tests negative then he has to take treatment by a pediatrician specialising in asthma and allergy who can recommend long term medicine course like of monteleukast or steroid nasal sprays or inhalers.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do get back o me if you any more concerns.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.