Infant with frequent cold and cough. Takes Asthalin and Allegra. What are the side effects? Any alternate medication?

Hi,My kid is 24 months old and is frequently infected with cold and cough.Everytime my pediatrician gives Asthalin expectorant/levolin for cough and allegra/Delcon for cold.Is it adivisable to give these medicines frequently.I heard it may have side effects..
Please help me knowing the side effects of the above medicines..what can be the alternatives..
Thanks in Advance
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 6 minutes later

Every medicine has side effects which vary amongst individuals and depends on the dose prescribed and other individual parameters. Even the innocuous paracetamol which doctors say is one of the safest medicines in modern science. Asthalin / levolin and allergra / delcon can produce nausea, vomiting, flushing, increased heart rate, dry mouth and so on.

What really concerns me is not the issue of side effect but whether your kid needs these medicines for every attack of cold and allergy. If possible I would prefer to use preventive medication to stop these attacks from recurring; it would also be better to use inhalers that can control / prevent allergic cough symptom instead of syrups. Please discuss these with your prescribing pediatrician.

Hope this helps you. Revert to me if you have any further queries.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher Kagalwala