Infant with foul breath, had thrush. Provided with a well balanced diet and similac advanced formula. Why?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 14-month old bay's breath has smelled like rotten eggs for about 3 days. She had thrush at about 3 and 6 months but is free of it now; she is in excellent health and doesn't feel bad. It's really stinky though. She brushes her teeth twice a day and doesn't go to bed with a bottle. She eats a well-balanced diet of fruit, vegetables, lean protein and small amounts of whole grains, supplemented by whole organic milk (which she has been drinking for 2 months) and Similac Advanced Formula, which she has been on since birth. She is in foster care with me (we are adopting her soon) but I know very little of her family health history. Ideas?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

In children, bad breath is most commonly seen due to tooth decay, gingivitis, pharyngitis, allergic rhinitis or a foreign body in her nose.

You need to examine carefully the oral cavity and nose of your baby for any of the above causes. An examination by pediatrician and a pediatric dentist will help in proper diagnosis.

Sometimes food particles lodged in tonsillar crevices might also produce a foul odor.

In such cases, these need to be removed by pediatrician.

You can use a pea size amount of fluoride based tooth paste twice daily for a 2-3 days and see if there is any improvement.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.