Infant with diarrhea. Prescribed with Prowel dry syrup. Correct medication?

Question
7 month old infant has diarhoea. Has passed stools with bad odour 2 times since morning. His paed had prescribed diof earlier in a emergency list of drugs . another paediatrician friend of mine had advised to give Prowel dry syrup re-constituted. Which is suitable in this case as it is not severe as of now.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

If your child presently has only diarrhea and is feeding well, does not have fever and is active, you can start with ‘ProWel Dry’ syrup which contains lactobacillus.

The pediatrician has given your child an antibiotic which are only given if the child has severe diarrhea, bloody diarrhea or fever. I wouldn't suggest the use of antibiotic currently.

Further, at this stage, I would suggest that the following measures be taken
•     Continue feeding the child.
•     Take 1 packet of ORS and mix in 1 litre of clean, drinking water. Give this the child as frequently as possible. The entire solution should be stored in a refrigerator and should be used within 24 hours. IF it’s not used, discard it and make fresh solution the next day.
•     Seek your pediatrician if your child develops fever, bloody stools or does not get better.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further questions.

Follow-up: Infant with diarrhea. Prescribed with Prowel dry syrup. Correct medication? 2 hours later
ORS -- Is it O.K to give Electral ?

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for following up.

Yes, Electral will be fine. Please follow the instructions for preparing the solution that I had explained earlier.

Wish your child a speedy recovery.

Regards.