Infant with dent in the soft palate. Diagnosed with geographic tongue. Suggestions?

for the past 6 month my 15 month old baby had has a dent in her soft palate it is not necrotic, it is just pink and have not change size since but is it normal to have a dent in soft palate , and also today i discovered she has a geographic tongue at the side of her tongue
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

A dent in the soft palate is not likely to be related to the geographic tongue.

The dent you have noticed in the soft palate is most likely a submucosal cleft palate. An examination by a dentist will help in confirmation of diagnosis. At this stage, if she is not having any problem in swallowing then no treatment is needed in most of the cases.

Geographic tongue is absolutely a benign lesion. It can also run in families. The exact cause is unknown. Usually no treatment is needed. Vitamin B complex supplements can be given after consulting her pediatrician.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.