Infant with cold, restlessness and fever. Given calpol. Fever persisting. Treatment?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hi, i have a 14 month old baby girl, she has shown signs of a cold the last few days, has been more tired than usual, sleeping for longer during the day, had a very restless night last night, is very hot all over tried the forehead thermometer and it was showing 38/39 degrees, i striped her off and left her in just her nappy and gave calpol but her temperature stayed the same if anything her legs cooled off but her torso and arms and head still remained very hot.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 23 minutes later
Temperature of around 102ºF (38-39ºC) would be considered as mild to moderate fever. As she also has a cold, it is likely that she is suffering from a viral infection or common cold.
I would suggest the following:
a.     An antipyretic like acetaminophen in appropriate doses (based on weight 10-15mg/kg) needs to be given. However, I would suggest that you consult a paediatrician for this so that the appropriate dose can be determined and given to your child.
b.     For nasal congestion, normal saline nose drops thrice daily and steam inhalation might provide relief.
c.     Give her plenty of water and fluids like soups, juices should be given to maintain hydration. Such a viral illness will resolve on its own in a week.

If the symptoms are persistent or worsen after 5-7 days, or she has any new symptoms like vomiting, diarrhoea, fast breathing, rash, etc, then a bacterial infection is likely and her paediatrician should be promptly consulted to confirm the diagnosis and start antibiotics .
If fever doesn't respond to appropriate doses of calpol, then her doctor might prescribe ibuprofen or mefenamic acid as an alternative in prescribed doses.
In case of persistent or continuous fever despite treatment, further blood investigations like blood counts and smear might be required.
Hope I have answered your query. I would be available for follow ups.