Infant vomitting, vomit has lot of cough. Having a sign of umbilical hernia. Suggest cure?

Feb 2013

my baby is vomiting after feed. in a day my wife is able to breast feed 3 times only and rest of times we feed him diluted cow milk. at times the vomit has lot of cough in it.As in the last chat you have mention that my baby who is 4 weeks old now is having a sign of umbilical hernia is this all is due to umbilical hernia? or he drinks over milk and vomits. he is vomiting from past one and half weeks. Please suggest
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 49 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Exclusive breast feeding is the best method for your baby till the age of 6 months.

Cow milk causes allergy and colic due to indigestion if it is given in infancy. And in addition it may lead to infections because of feeding by a bottle.

Vomiting in your baby is because of gastroesophageal reflux or due to cow milk.
Gastroesophageal reflux is a common problem in infants and it is due to lax lower esophagus (food pipe) sphincter.

Most of infants will overcome this problem by the age of 6 months and remaining by the age of 1 year.

The vomitings are not because of umbilical hernia.

I advise you the following measures :

1. Exclusive breastfeeds to be given till the age of 6 months.

2. Burping to be done after each feed till the baby expels air from food pipe.

3. Give small feeds frequently.

4. Hold the baby in upright position for 5 to 10 minutes after feeding.

5. Stop giving cow milk.

6. Monitor baby weight gain, urine output to know the adequacy of breastfeeds.

In spite of all these measures, if vomitings are continuing baby needs medication with prokinetic drug like domperidone in prescribed dosage to treat reflux.

And baby needs physical examination by the pediatrician to look for the other uncommon causes of vomitings around this age group like infantile pyloric stenosis.

Therefore I advise you to consult your pediatrician for examination, to assess baby weight gain, to look for the cause of vomiting, and for feeding advice and medication for vomitings.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.