Infant vomitting, vomit has lot of cough. Having a sign of umbilical hernia. Related?

my baby is vomiting after feed. in a day my wife is able to breast feed 3 times only and rest of times we feed him diluted cow milk. at times the vomit has lot of cough in it.As in the last chat you have mention that my baby who is 4 weeks old now is having a sign of umbilical hernia is this all is due to umbilical hernia? or he drinks over milk and vomits. he is vomiting from past one and half weeks. Please suggest
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 28 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

Please note that most of the mothers are able to produce milk that is required by baby and in required quantity. The more your feed the baby, more milk is formed.

It is demand and supply chain. You should avoid top feeding unless recommended by doctor.

If your baby goes to sleep comfortably after feed, gaining weight normally, I do not see any reason for worry.

The reason for vomiting could be:

Over feeding
Infection due to top feed
Some digestive issues.

I do not think this could be due to umbilical hernia.

Still I would prefer that you visit your family doctor/pediatrician and get him examined.

In mean time please do the following which should help:

Reduce quantity of feed
Maintain good hygiene, if you are using bottle, please stop immediately.
Look for all over growth of the child, weight etc.
Ask her mother to eat good healthy diet and plenty of fluids which will increase the quantity of feed.
Do not give loose milk. Only pasteurized milk needs to be given. Do not dilute it, you can use milk like amul XXXXXXX or similar.

In spite of everything if the vomiting continuous please visit your doctor.

I hope this helps.

Wishing him good health.