Infant tested positive for enterobacter cloacae in a throat swab. What should be done?

my 23 month old tested positive for enterobacter cloacae in a throat swab, what should be done?
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 47 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to us.

Firstly, I want to know as to why the throat swab was advised and the symptoms the child was having before the throat swab was done, in short I want a brief medical history.

Secondly, I would advise you to bet a blood culture sensitivity also done (if its not done ) and the throat swab sent to sensitivity pattern for antibiotics.

If the growth is significant in terms of laboratory parameters, then the necessary antibiotics would be required to control the infection.

Kindly follow up with the child’s brief medical.

Follow-up: Infant tested positive for enterobacter cloacae in a throat swab. What should be done? 10 hours later
She had presented fever for one day, controllable
With tylenol. Swab was advised to rule out
Bacteria since a virus was suspected.
Throat had Little red spots and some inflamación
Of neck
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 12 hours later
Hi, thanks for the follow up

Good to know the medical history.

According to the medical history and the picture of the symptoms you have depicted- your child may be having a tonsillitis/pharyngitis - inflammation of the neck may be regional enlargement of the lymph nodes in response to the infection of the throat.

Enterobacter cloacae is a community acquired infection or a nosocomial infection (i.e. Hospital acquired)

The next step of action would be to give the child’s blood sample for culture and sensitivity and start appropriate antimicrobial therapy which would best be suggested by your child s pediatrician.

Meanwhile watch for other signs of progressive infection- high grades of fever not getting controlled by the usual doses of paracetamol, fever associated with chills and rigors, fever associated with difficulty in urination, symptoms of cough hurried breathing & difficulty in breathing-- which all suggests progression of the disease and the need for hospitalization.

Maintain the child's nutrition and hydration in the mean time.
I wish her a speedy recovery. I’ll be personally interested to know her recovery, kindly write back to me.

Thank you & regards.