Infant taking formula milk from birth, recently started Cerelac. Has greenish black stools. Normal?

Question
My daugher is 6 months old and on formula from birth.Now from 4 days she is taking cerelac.Her mothin color is greenish black .Is this normal?
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 37 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for using the XXXXXXX I am happy to address your questions, a baby's bowel movements will change once solids are added to her diet. They may become more firm and have a less pleasant odour than the exclusively breastfed or formula milk baby's stools. XXXXXXX stools in a healthy baby may indicate a sensitivity/allergy to a medication or the food. Since your little one's change in stool seems to correspond with the addition of rice/cereal type cerelac to her diet, you might want to return to an exclusively formula diet for a few weeks and see if her stools remain XXXXXXX Her digestive system may not be quite ready for this and a few weeks might make a difference. Also, when a baby is sick and has diarrhea, she may also have XXXXXXX stools (black stools could be concern). She may also be stooling very frequently (between 12 and 16 times a day.) If your baby appears healthy and no signs of pain or infection, and her stools have just changed in color, there is probably no reason to worry and you can try as mentioned above. If you are at all concerned, you could also get her examined with your clinician to help put your mind at ease. Best wishes in mothering! Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help. Thanks

Follow-up: Infant taking formula milk from birth, recently started Cerelac. Has greenish black stools. Normal? 18 minutes later
Thanks Doctor.
My 6 months old daughter head rightside is flat.She used to keep her face/head rightside while sleeping and playing. Before it was more flat now it is little in shape. Still from back we can make the difference,head is not round.Could you please suggest me what should i do to make this well balanced or it will be like this only?

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 1 hour later
Thanks for your kind response, head molding is an abnormal head shape that results from pressure on the baby's head and as baby's skull are soft and flexible, with gaps between the plates of bone. Try alternating with opposite side as much as possible, or place interesting objects so that your baby likes to look at to different sides on different nights. It works best in the early ages of 4 to 8 months as this is when the skull is growing most rapidly. Overall head shape almost always improves with age, 80% of the time it reforms the head back toward normal shape. If there is a minor difference, then keep working on it as mentioned above, so that by five years old it will hardly show at all. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health

Follow-up: Infant taking formula milk from birth, recently started Cerelac. Has greenish black stools. Normal? 8 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

I marked dark circles under my baby's eyes from last few days.What could be reason for this and it can be cured.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 47 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for your kind response, tiredness can make the dark circles stand out more. If your baby is very tired, complexion may look paler. This will make the blood vessels underneath his skin look darker. Your baby may also rub his eyes when he's tired, making the sensitive skin around his eyes turn red. Occasionally, dark circles are caused by something other than skin tone like allergies, such as sinusitis or dermatitis. In fact, they’re often referred to as "allergic shiners XXXXXXX That's because when the nose is congested, the surrounding veins become restricted, slowing the blood flow. As a result, the veins under the eyes can swell and look darker, particularly among people with light skin. nasal inflammation can also cause these dark circles. It’s better to identify the concerned allergen and avoid repeated exposure. Talk to your clinician if you are very worried. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health

Follow-up: Infant taking formula milk from birth, recently started Cerelac. Has greenish black stools. Normal? 22 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor.I have a last query .I had a C-section.My daugher is 6 months old.I am going to join office so i need to travel by Bus [standing/sitting] around 12 kms and walk for some time .
Could you please suggest daily how many KMS/Minutes walk is advisable/not risky.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your kind response, most mothers who have had few if any complications and are recuperating well, not-too-strenuous travel three to four weeks after a c-section is fine. Remember that recovery from childbirth takes time, rest, and assistance. Travel can be stressful, and can compound the fatigue you're already experiencing. The first several weeks after delivery can be emotionally difficult as well. If extensive post-delivery stitching was necessary, vaginal discomfort may persist for some time and vigorous exercise can make it worse. Wear comfortable clothes and get up regularly to stretch your legs and walk around a bit (every hour or so is ideal) to prevent blood clotting, for which you're at an increased risk in the early weeks after childbirth. Complications specific to c-sections, including wound infection and incision separation, are also more likely to occur in the first several days after delivery. Rarely do such problems arise more than six weeks afterward (as for you over 6 months), though c-sections can sometimes cause prolonged postdelivery pain and fatigue. That's why most doctors recommend waiting at least three to four weeks to travel after surgery. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health