Infant taken a double dose of prevacid. What should be done?

My 17 month old son takes 15mg of prevacid daily. today we accidently gave him a double dose. should I be concerned????
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Giving one extra dose of prevacid (lansoprazole) does not lead to any toxicity. Research shows that in studies, giving extremely large doses of Prevacid to rats and mice did not cause problems. Reports of overdoses in humans also did not suggest any problems.

But at the same time, you should ensure that you make your daughter drink plenty of fluids and water to flush out the drug. Under normal circumstances though, your daughter should not have any problems but if she has any altered consciousness or mental status or decrease in urine output then you should consult her pediatrician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.