Infant suffering from fever, vomiting, lethargy, rough patches on skin. Taking paracetamol. What is causing these symptoms?

Hi, my baby boy is 10 1/2 months old, weighs about 23 pounds. He normally is a very healthy, happy, active boy, who has only had a fever once before in his life. Three days ago we came to the US from Europe, so he's been a bit fussier than normal because of jetlag. However, today he was lethargic (very unusual for him), threw up once (projectile vomit), slept a lot more than usual, ate very little (although towards the evening he seemed to have gotten over that, he ate and drank his formula as usual), and has been running a fever of about 101-102, even though we gave him 2.5 ml paracetamol (I think it's the European acetaminophen) at 11 am and then 2.5ml Little Remedies for fevers at 7pm(so 8 hrs apart). Also, his gas smells very bad, like bad eggs (he did have an egg yolk yesterday, but has had at least 2 if not three bowel movements since). His bowel movements have been normal both in frequency and in texture. Also, his skin has been very dry and has had rough patches since we got to the US (and it actually looks like the eczema on my sister's 1 yr old son, with whom we've been staying for the past three days).
Now he's down for the night (he usually sleeps from about 7 pm until 7 am waking up once for a bottle), but the last time I checked his temperature he had 102. I'll try to keep him hydrated and rested.
My questions are:
What is causing these symptoms? Could they have something to do with the new foods we've been giving him on this trip? (Mainly store-bought variations of foods he had tried before home made).
What should I do to keep his fever under control?
At what point should I take him to the ER?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 2 hours later

As per symptoms suggested by you, your baby is having gastritis with fever which could be due to introduction of new food or infectious in nature mostly viral but could be bacterial as well.

Regarding temperature record it 6 hourly and give acetaminophen (15mg/kg) if fever is above 100F.

Do tepid sponging in case fever is above 102F.

Give plenty of fluids, coconut water, lemonade, vegetable soup, curd.

Do not force him to eat.

Regarding dryness in skin apply emollient 3 to 4 times a day. Apply immediately after bath so as to retain moisture.

Watch for following features;

-persistent vomiting
-refusal of feeds
-any abnormal movement
-decreased urine output

In case you observe any, get him evaluated by pediatrician for proper management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby speedy recovery.

God bless!!