Infant suffering from Devrat Syndrome. Taking Lacosamide. How to procure Lacosamide in the Us?

I have an infant 1 year old who is suffering from Devrat Syndrome. He is currently taking Lacosamide, Levetiracetam, Clobazam and Pyridoxine.

I am from India and planning to go to Buffalo NY in the next couple of days. I am told that I cannot procure medicines in USA using prescription from India. I need to have a prescription from a US doctor to procure medicine.

I want to know if I take him to USA, will a paediatric (neurologist) doctor in USA prescribe Lacosamide (Vimpat) to him so that I can buy that medicine when I am there?

I am asking this because Lacosamide is not advised to be given to patients under 17 years of age. However the current medications he is taking has controlled his siezure for the past 5 months and we do not want to make any changes to what he is currently taking.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 7 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your concern

If you feel that Lacosamide works for your infant, this drug can be prescribed on request. Infact there are so many drugs the safety of which are not established in infant/children, but are used. I suggest you to carry these medications under prescription from your local doctor in India along with the official seal for 2-3 months time. In the mean time you can find out a pediatric neurologist/epileptologist who will help you in this regard.

Best wishes
Please get back to me in csae you have any concern
Dr Gopal K Dash MD, DM, Post-doctoral fellowship (Epilepsy)
Consultant Neurologist and Epilepsy specialist XXXXXXX Hrudayalaya Hospital, Bangalore
My Blog in the Web site: