Infant started gaining weight rapidly. Should I be concerned?

Seeing that he has more than doubled his weight in such a short period of time . Is that a cause for concern?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to healthcare magic

Normally a new born baby looses some weight in the first 10 days of life and there after starts gaining weight. He gains around 25 to 30gms a day there after to double the weight in 5 months.

I understand your concern now, therefore I require further details to answer your question.

Does the baby have any other problems?
Is his activity and feeding normal?
How many formula feeds is he getting per day and how many breast feeds?
Are you feeding him on demand?

Did your older child grow at the same pace when he was at this age? (If you have a older child)
Is there any history that parents also grew at this pace when they were of the same age?

What is his length at birth and what is his current length?
What is the head cirucumferance of the baby?
Was a thyroid profile done at birth? If so what is the report.

I suggest you to breast feed the baby exclusively for the first 6 months of life.
Even though the mother may be working this can be done by expressing the milk and storing it.
Avoid bottle feeds exclusively.

Please update me with further details and I shall help you further