Infant seems to have small bulge near belly button. Anything serious?

My newborn girl is 6 weeks old & she is healthy with normal growth. Suddenly today my wife observed a small bulge or lump like swelling near baby's belly button. Also the baby has been cranky today & has cried whenever we put her down on bed. Is this swelling anything serious and what can be done to cure it.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 12 days later
I understand your concern.

A swelling under belly button can be a simple infection, at the same time it can be a peri umblical sinus.

I would like to see a photograph.
This will help me in giving a closer diagnosis.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. You can also send the reports/ image to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as 'ATTN: Dr. Rahul Kumar'."

Thank you