Infant refusing to have food. On breast feeds during nights. Any suggestion?

My 15 month old daughter is eating very less solid food since 1 week. Today she has not had anything except one sapota fruit. Do you suggest anything?
She is on breast feeds during nights.

Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 26 hours later

I understand your concern. But don't worry; you belong to the club of toddler parents with kid who won’t eat anything.

Shorter duration of not eating anything might be because of teething. She will recover her appetite soon.

Do understand the fact that children triple their weight from 3kg to 9kg during first year. So they eat well till first year. Then they gain only 3kg more until second year. Visibly their appetite decreases.
It should concern you only if the baby is losing weight.

Some tips which might help you out during this difficult phase,
1. Variety is the essence of even toddler's life. Try out variety of dishes and be creative.
2. Eating together as a family with no distractions (TV). When everyone is eating around her, she will automatically start having the motivation to eat. She is ready by this age to eat with a cup and spoon but with good amount of spillage.
3. Never force feed. The more you force the more they repel. Lunch and dinner time becomes stressful period for them.
4. Adding some oil, ghee always helps in meeting daily energy requirement. Oil items are dense form of energy. One teaspoon is equivalent to one idly/roti.

Reassuring fact is your kid still drinks breast milk which makes up for the deficit. As long as she doesn't have fever, she is not losing weight, she is active you need not worry. It’s just the toddler phase. Just keep enjoying parenting.

If you have any doubts I am ready to help or else you may lock the query.

Thanks. Take care.
Dr.Balaji Chinnasami