Infant putting hard object in mouth. Is this a sign of teething?

I have 7 month plus son. He craves to put hard objects in his mouth. Is it that he is going to get teeth soon?

what would be the Do and dont's for this, we have also observed that he screams aloud in the evenings not sure if he is getting any pain.
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 46 minutes later

Good evening.

The hand to mouth co-ordination for a child is achieved around 5 to 6 months of age, so the child, whatever he finds, tends to keep it in his mouth which is normal. Secondly, I would tell that he might get his first set of teeth shortly.

Certain things are to be noted at this stage of development.
-     See to that he does not keep anything which is small into his mouth, to avoid the risk of choking.
-     Avoid unclean environment, so that he will not get infected with organisms which can cause diarrhoea and vomiting.
-     Avoid easy access of adult medicines within the reach of the child.

Child crying aloud in the evening, I cannot comment much nor suggest anything without examining him. It could be due to a range of issues including abdominal cramps, earache, or simple irritation. So please get him examined by your doctor.

Hope I have been able to clear your concerns. If you require any further clarification, please let me know.

Thank you.